[vc_row][vc_column][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner][vc_column_text]Assistant Dispatch Department
The primary responsibility of the Assistant Dispatcher is to ensure safe, accurate, timely and efficient delivery of all orders while facilitating and supporting drivers and dispatchers as they perform their duties.
The Assistant Dispatcher is a professional who ensures that everything runs smoothly by coordinating with shippers and receivers, providing precise logistics for drivers to follow along on their routes, and coordinating delivery times. Assistant Dispatchers are the point of contact for drivers and have all the information needed to make pick-ups and deliveries. They are the liaisons between dispatchers and drivers. They relay information from dispatchers to drivers, and from drivers to dispatchers. They pass along messages from drivers to dispatchers about issues that arose during pick-ups, deliveries, or other concerns.
Assistant Dispatchers must be able to effectively communicate with both parties to fulfill their duties. This requires strong interpersonal skills and an attention to detail.
Good Assistant Dispatchers are effective communicators, organized, can remain calm during stressful situations, and have superior multi-tasking skills. They must be able to coordinate schedules, manage calls and use phone and computer technology.
Drivers respect the most the integrity and honesty of their dispatchers.
It’s important to try to get to know the drivers. Some of them are connecting on a personal level with their dispatchers and they are building strong work relationships. This shows the drivers that dispatchers care about them and value them as a person.
Job Responsibilities & Duties
- Keep careful records of services and transactions including truck/trailer maintenance, service, DOT inspection and registration.
- Receiving emergency and non-emergency calls and record significant information.
- Addressing problems and requests by transmitting information or providing solutions.
- Ensure each driver receives outstanding service.
- Provide accurate and efficient record keeping for all delivery orders.
- Prioritize calls according to urgency and importance.
- Monitor the route and status of the trucks to coordinate and prioritize their schedule.
- Provide the trucks with information about loads, traffic, obstacles, and requirements.
- Complete administrative duties as required.
- Answer phones and respond to driver requests.
- Answer driver questions and provide information on delivery times, and other specific requirements outlined in the Rate Confirmation.
- Accurately complete daily balancing and closing of loads entered in ProTransport.
- Communicate with the Dispatch Department regarding all issues, including but not limited to vehicle loading, tracking, driver requests, etc.
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma/GED required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes occasional evenings, weekends and holidays
- Comfortable using a computer and proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of the roadways, ELDs and FMCSA regulations
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Customer service personality with strong written and oral communication skills are essential
- Administrative Assistant is a plus
- Must be Self-motivated, organized and detail oriented
- Basic dispatching experience preferred
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Tech savvy and comfortable working with several software programs
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong work ethic